Search This Blog

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Greetings all!  As he said, my brother invited me to join this blog, an offer, that given my love of scotch, I simply couldn't turn down!  Anyway, I'll follow his form and tell you a bit about myself.  I also attend the University of Pittsburgh, but I go to the Law School and will be graduating next year with my JD.  I think any good lawyer who wants to act like a proper snob should drink scotch, but that isn't why I drink it.

So, what is the origin of my love of scotch, and perhaps even this blog?  It might sound strange, but I owe my interest to fiction novels.  Crazy, huh?  Let me explain.  I have always been an avid reader and one of the authors I enjoyed often emphasized how the characters savored Laphroaig and Lagavulin.

I had no idea what these were, but the idea of smooth double agents sipping on these beverages in the corner of a dark London pub stuck with me.  Years later I had grown to appreciate whiskey, but knew little about scotch whiskey until I finally found a bar that stocked the elusive Laphroaig.  So I ordered it on the rocks (i didn't know any better at the time) and thus began my love affair with the smooth, smokey liquid.

This past fall I took my younger brother, the creator of this blog, out for his 21st birthday and knew I had to introduce him to Laphroaig.  As you might suspect, his enthusiasm was instant and profound.  I  have created a monster.  So, that's the back-story on myself, and to an extent, of this blog.

I just acquired a bottle of Glenmorangie Extra Matured 12 years old, a scotch I haven't had the pleasure of sampling yet.  Once I'm properly acquainted with the stuff I will post a review.  In the meantime, grab yourself a glass, add a splash of water, and settle into a comfortable chair to enjoy the wonderful world of scotch.

No comments:

Post a Comment